Web Log Purpose

A web log based on the principle that a civilized society deserves democratic government based on integrity. The premise here is the U.S. democracy has effectively been subverted by oligarchical forces which must be opposed with facts and rational thought. (An RSS feed is recommended.)

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Sinclair Lewis on Tyranny

Under a tyranny, most friends are a liability. One quarter of them turn "reasonable" and become your enemies, one quarter are afraid to stop and speak and one quarter are killed and you die with them. But the blessed final quarter keep you alive.


So writes the eminent author, Sinclair Lewis, in his important novel It Can't Happen Here. In this work, which I have already referenced on this log, Lewis writes a story about the coming to be of a fascist regime in the United States. The telling of the tale is insightful and frightening in its ringing, albeit fictional, accuracy.

Sadly, I have found Lewis to be three-quarters correct. I am glad to say that none of my friends has yet been "taken out" by the current powers that be. However, the suffering of persons, both spoken and unspoken has been significant.

As I have said before I highly recommend this book. I will keep you posted regarding my progress with this exciting novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. All comments are moderated. Your comment will be reviewed as quickly as possible. Off-topic or inappropriate will not be considered. Timely and appropriate messages are most welcome.